Old St. Vincent Chapel, Cape Girardeau, MO, Founded 1838
General parish info
Phone: (573) 335-9347 — Fax: (573) 335-0649
Web site: www.oldstvincents.org
Mailing address: Cathedral of St. Mary of the Annunciation, 615 William Street, Cape Girardeau, MO 63703-6242
Weekend Mass times
This placard at the Old S. Vincent’s Church reads:
On this site in 1833, Fr. John Timon, a Vincentian priest, celebrated Mass in a warehouse of Don Louis Lorimier.
The first St. Vincent’s Church, constructed in 1838 was destroyed by a tornado in 1850. Rebuilt a year later, the foundation of the present English Gothic church is stone from the original building.
Declared a Chapel of Ease in 1977, Old St. Vincent’s Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and has remained a place of worship since Fr. Timon came to this spot in 1833.
For a comprehensive history go to www.oldstvincents.org.
Above is compiled from diocesan archives.
“D” designates information compiled from The Catholic Directory or Year Book.