SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Pulaskifield, MO, Founded 1892
General parish info
Administrator: Fr. Paul Lourd Raj Pudhota
Phone: (417) 476-2463
Mailing address: SS. Peter and Paul Church, PO Box 208, Pierce City, MO 65723-0208
Weekend Mass times
Daily Mass Times
7:30 – 7:45 a.m.
Most of the Polish immigrants who settled in the Pulaskifield area (then know as Bricefield) came from the Prussian partition of Poland. Agricultural reforms from 1848-1852 deprived many Polish farmers of their land. Scarcity of land and jobs in their native country and letters from America encouraged the people to immigrate.
After the Frisco railway was extended into southwest Missouri, cheap land was offered for sale to immigrants. Irish, German, and Polish Catholics settled in north Barry county. St. John’s (later called St. Patrick’s) church was established in Pierce City. By 1883 Bishop John J. Hogan of Kansas City granted permission for the formation of St. Mary’s Catholic Church to serve the needs of these communities.
The desire to have Mass celebrated in their native language caused the Polish people to petition Bishop Hogan for their own church. Land was purchased from Mr. Brice Hudson in April 1892. In October 1892, Bishop Hogan dedicated the first frame church to SS. Peter and Paul. The next year the parish purchased land for a rectory and a cemetery.
Fr. Edward Rejnert, a native of Poland, became the first resident pastor. SS. Peter and Paul has had 26 pastors in 112 years, currently sharing Fr. Daniel Robles with St. Lawrence Parish in Monett.
The parish school started in 1901 with one lay teacher, closing in May 1903. The Polish Franciscan Sisters came to teach in a new school building in 1909, staying until 1917. The parish school reopened in 1925 staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help until 1968, when it closed.
From 1976 to 1993 the parish held an annual celebration called the Uczta. Visitors from surrounding areas came to experience the Polish food, games, and dancing. Parishioners help out with Camp Re-NEW-AlI, Barry County Youth Camp, and Habitat for Humanity. The Parish Council of Catholic Women, Knights of Columbus Council #8865, and the youth group provide outreach to the larger parish community and beyond. The same proud Polish traditions that set this parish apart are still present, although many members no longer claim Polish heritages.
Wendoloski, Fr. Theodore J., Jul 4, 1955 – Apr 26, 1962
Cernauskas, Fr. Daniel (Administrator), Apr 27, 1962 – Oct 16, 1962
McKenna, Fr. James F., Oct 17, 1962 – Jun 14, 1965
Deragowski, Msgr. Eugene J., Jun 15, 1965 – Jun 30, 1971
Hahn, Fr. Quentin V., Jul 1, 1971 – Jan 5, 1974
Lutz, Fr. Frederick J. (Administrator), Jul 8, 1975 – Sep 14, 1975
Marquart, Fr. Ernest J., Sep 15, 1975 – Jul 31, 1980
Biernacki, Fr. Jacob S., Aug 1, 1980 – Jan 24, 1988
Lutz, Fr. Frederick J., Jan 25, 1988 – Aug 18, 1991
Edwards, Fr. Byron H., Aug 19, 1991 – Aug 17, 1992
Hodgson, Fr. William M., Aug 18, 1992 – Aug 16, 1996
Miller, Fr. David L., Aug 17, 1996 – Aug 16. 1999
Braun, Fr. John S., Aug 17, 1999 – Aug 16, 1000
Saunders, Fr. Allan L., Aug 17, 2000 – Aug 12, 2003
Robles, Fr. Daniel, Aug 13, 2003 – Aug 12, 2009
Skrzypek, Fr. Jaroslaw Z., Aug 13, 2009 – Jul 1, 2010
McLoughlin, Fr. Paul J., Jul 1, 2010 – Jul 1, 2011
Morciniec, Fr. Peter J., Jul 1, 2011 – Jun 30, 2014
Prost, Fr. Charles, CM, Jul 1, 2014 – Jul 5, 2017
Pudhota, Fr. Paul Lourd Raj, (Administrator) Jul 6, 2017 –
Above is compiled from diocesan archives.
“D” designates information compiled from The Catholic Directory or Year Book.