St. John Vianney Parish, Mountain View, MO, Founded 1951
General parish info
Administrator: Fr. Charles Berni, HGN
RCIA Director: James L. Ryan
Cook Book Fund: Connie Stone
Phone: (417) 934-2649
Mailing address: St. John Vianney Church, 808 State Route Y, Mountain View, MO 65548-7904
Weekend Mass times
Daily Mass Times
St. John Vianney Catholic Church, a mission of St. Joseph’s at White Church, MO, began its life in a small white frame building on Second Street in Mountain View. The building was purchased from another denomination by the Archdiocese of St. Louis. The furnishings came from other Catholic churches.
A generous donation from the late Dr. Grace Doane provided the funds to expand the building. The basement, altar, and sacristy areas were added, which made the building in the shape of a cross. The exterior was rock-faced. Dedication was held on Easter Sunday of 1951. Fr. E. J. Fallert was the first priest.
In the early days, the Daughters of Charity conducted the only religion classes for the children, two weeks each summer. CCD for young people was taught for several years by Extension volunteers, women from out of the area who gave a year of their lives in rural areas to work in the hospital and do other parish work.
Doane donated property with buildings that became living quarters and the Parish Hall. The mission became a parish sometime around 1960 and the first resident priest was Fr. Vincent Stolzer.
A sizable legacy from a parishioner and a generous anonymous donation prompted the idea of a new church with all new buildings on the same property. Many hours of planning culminated in the new church building, with classrooms, offices, and a social area all under one roof. Additional funds were raised by various fund-raisers and many generous donors and benefactors.
Construction began in September of 1988 and was completed by March of 1989. Since then, much has been done to provide a parking area, trees, lighting, decorations, flowers, a bell, a pavilion, and a walking trail with religious articles. A new cemetery was added in 2002.
St. John Vianney has expanded its ministry since becoming a parish. Members serve at the hospital as volunteers and offer chaplain serves. The pastor also serves its mission church, St. Sylvester in Eminence, MO.
Donovan, Fr. William E., Oct 17, 1962 – Aug 16, 1966
Holterman, Fr. Herbert J., Aug 17, 1966 – Aug 18, 1967; Nov 20, 1967 – Jun 30, 1971
Hahn, Fr. Quentin V., Aug 19, 1967 – Nov 25, 1967
Deragowski, Msgr. Eugene J., Jul 1, 1971 – Feb 19, 1979
Wissman, Fr. J. Patrick, Feb 20, 1979 – Sep 30, 1982
Wightman, Fr. Paul, OMI (Parochial Administrator), Feb 7, 1983 – Mar 21, 1983
Eschbacher, Fr. Jerome J., Jul 15, 1983 – Aug 11, 1985
Mai Vinh Loc, Fr. Timothy, CMC, Aug 12, 1985 – Aug 16, 1994
Marquart, Fr. Ernest J., Aug 17, 1994 – Nov 19, 2012
Weidenbenner, Fr. Joseph, Nov 30, 2012 – Jun 30, 2015
Lourduswami, Fr. Augustine, Jul 1, 2015 – Jul 5, 2017
Berni, Fr. Charles, HGN, (Administrator) Jul 6, 2017 –
Above is compiled from diocesan archives.
“D” designates information compiled from The Catholic Directory or Year Book.