St. Joseph Parish, Advance, MO, Founded 1905
General parish info
Pastor: Fr. Randolph G. Tochtrop
Priest in Residence: Fr. Glenn A. Eftink
Secretary: Sharon Brucker
Phone: (573) 722-3504
Mailing address: St. Joseph Church, PO Box 640, Advance, MO 63730-0640
All schedules subject to change. Please call parish offices above to verify.
Weekend Mass times
Daily Mass Times
5:30 p.m. Vigil Mass
8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
St. Joseph’s parish roots date back several years before it was formally established as a parish of the Archdiocese of St. Louis in 1905. Fr. Everard Pruente, pastor of St. Mary of the Annunciation Parish in Cape Girardeau, began ministering to Catholics in the Advance community as early as 1885, traveling by horse and buggy.
The first church, a wooden structure, was built and dedicated in 1905. However, it was destroyed by a tornado on April 29, 1909. The church structure was rebuilt and rededicated on May 19, 1910, by Archbishop John J. Glennon of St. Louis who supported and promoted the establishment of parishes in rural areas of the Archdiocese in order to meet the spiritual needs of Catholics in these outlying regions.
A rectory for St. Joseph Parish was constructed in 1918. Prior to this time, the pastors would reside at Glennon. This meant that when “the swamp was up,” there would be no Masses for a month at a time.
Growth in the parish necessitated the building of a new brick church and rectory at the edge of the Advance city limits. The new church was dedicated on March 13, 1991. The new 9,347 square-foot structure includes the church and the parish center as well as classrooms and the parish office. A new rectory was built and completed in the fall of 1992.
Although the buildings and their locations have changed, the parish continues to flourish and grow serving the needs of the Catholic faithful, the community of Advance, and the surrounding area.
Schmelzle, Fr. Leo F., Oct 2, 1953 – Jun 26, 1957
Hahn, Fr. Quentin V. with Mission of St. Edward’s, Dutchtown, Jun 24, 1957 – Sep 2, 1958
Orf, Msgr. Raymond V. Administrator of Glennon, May 20, 1961 – Jun 14, 1965
Hirtz, Fr. Nicholas J. with Mission of St. Anthony, Glennon, Jun 15, 1965 – Aug 16, 1966
Wells, Fr. John E. with Mission of St. Anthony, Glennon, Aug 17, 1966 – Dec 27, 1972
Brauner, Fr. Justin J. Temporary assignment to Advance and Glennon, Mar 9, 1970 – Sep 2, 1970
Chambers, Fr. Leonard R. Administrator, Advance and Glennon, May 1, 1973 – May 31, 1974
Winkelmann, Fr. William P. Administrator of Mission of St. Anthony, Jun 13, 1974 – Jan 5, 1975
McHugh, Fr. Paul J. Administrator, Advance and Glennon, Jan 6, 1975 – Oct 14, 1975; *Pastor, Advance and Glennon, Oct 15, 1975 – Jul 14, 1978
Varone, Fr. Normand G., Jul 15, 1978 – Aug 15, 1983
Binder, Fr. Mark J., Aug 16, 1983 – Aug 16, 1987
Carr, Fr. Gary M., Aug 17, 1987 – July, 1988
Hejna, Fr. Lewis E., Jul 28, 1988 – Aug 16, 1996
Lutz, Fr. Frederick J., Aug 17, 1996 – Aug 12, 2003
Dohogne, Fr. David J., Aug 13, 2003 – Jul 1, 2009
Tochtrop, Fr. Randolph G., Jul 1, 2009 –
Above is compiled from diocesan archives.
“D” designates information compiled from The Catholic Directory or Year Book.