Welcome Bishop Rice!
Bishop Edward M. Rice was installed as the Seventh Bishop of the Diocese of Springfield – Cape Girardeau on Wednesday, June 1, 2016. The Worship Aid for the celebration is available here: Worship Aid.
Photo Credit: Jerry Naunheim Jr.
Registration Open :: Gateway Conference 2016 on the newly revised Order for Celebrating Matrimony
Sponsored by the Office of Worship at the Archdiocese of St. Louis
Thursday, November 3, 2016, 5:30-9:00 PM, Cardinal Rigali Center, St. Louis
Keynote and break-outs tailored to the following audiences: Parish Liturgy Coordinators, Parish Music Directors, Parish Wedding Coordinators, Permanent Deacons and Deacons in Formation. Thursday Registration Form
Friday, November 4, 2016, 10:45 AM – 2:30 PM, Cardinal Rigali Center, St. Louis
Mid-morning & early afternoon program tailored to the following audiences: Priests (St. Louis, Belleville, Springfield, IL., Springfield-Cape Girardeau), Seminarians from Kenrick-Glennon Seminary (Years III & IV), & Permanent Deacons. Friday Registration Form
Featured keynote speaker Fr. Daniel Merz, priest for the Diocese of Jefferson City, MO. He taught for 10 years at Conception Seminary College & worked for almost 4 years at the USCCB Secretariat for Divine Worship. He has a Doctorate in Sacred Liturgy from the Pontifical Institute of Liturgy in Rome.
Rite of Election
The Rite of Election ceremonies will be held Sunday, March 5, 2017 at St. Agnes Cathedral in Springfield and on Sunday, March 12, 2017 at the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Annunciation in Cape Girardeau. Ceremony times will be determined by December 19th based on anticipated numbers.
In an effort to plan effectively for these celebrations, RCIA Directors or Pastors are asked to contact Katie Newton in the Office of Worship with your anticipated numbers by December 12, 2016. Pastors or RCIA Directors of each parish are asked to submit the names, addresses, phone numbers, and sponsors of each candidate and catechumen by Feb. 22, 2017.
If you have any questions please call Katie in the Office of Worship at (417) 866-0841 or by Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To nurture the Sacramental/Liturgical life of the people of God in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
The Office of Worship:
- aids the Bishop in his role as chief liturgist of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau by advising him on liturgical matters (through the Director of Worship and the Diocesan Liturgical Commission).
- assists the Bishop in the implementation of all liturgical rites and development of liturgical guidelines and directives.
- aids priests and the laity of the parishes and other facilities in planning and celebrating the sacramental/liturgical rites by aiding, when requested in the education, formation and training of God’s people.
- implementing universal norms for the Roman Rite and the official directives and guidelines as promulgated by the Bishop.
- directing and preparing Episcopal liturgies, e.g. the Rite of Election, the Chrism Mass, ordinations of deacons and priests, dedication of new or radically renovated worship spaces.
- planning and preparing prayer for special diocesan times of prayer, e.g. funerals of priests and liturgies for the Priests’ Institute.
- participating in the process of consultation when a parish or another diocesan facility wishes to build or renovate worship spaces in the diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
- overseeing continuing liturgical education through diocesan, regional and parochial workshops of priests, deacons and the laity so as to assist God’s people in making the liturgy the “source and summit of the life of the Church.”
- working with the diocesan liturgical commission in planning the vision of liturgical ministry in the diocese.
- In Collaboration with the Office of Religious Education, the Office of Worship -supports and educates parish catechumenate and initiation teams.
“The Mass” Brochure
The Diocesan Liturgical Commission is happy to announce a new brochure called The Mass. Developed by the Diocesan Liturgical Commission and approved for distribution by Bishop James V. Johnston, The Mass is intended to assist Catholics and non-Catholics alike to better understand the Catholic Mass. Download the brochure by clicking here: Mass Brochure