Former Director of Seminarians dies at 86

Msgr. Mark Ernstmann
Msgr. Mark Ernstmann

Msgr. Mark C. Ernstmann died Wed., Aug. 7, 2013. He was age 86. May he rest in peace.

The Funeral Mass was Mon., Aug. 12, in St. Agnes Cathedral, Springfield. Many priests concelebrated the Mass and burial was in St. Mary Cemetery, Springfield.

Msgr. Ernstmann was born May 22, 1927, in Wichita, KS, to Frank and Minnie (Smith) Ernstmann. He attended Conception Seminary in Conception, MO, and received his STL degree from Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. Msgr. Ernstmann was ordained June 2, 1951, in St. Joseph Church in Springfield by Most Rev. Joseph M. Marling, Auxiliary Bishop of Kansas City, for the Diocese of Kansas City, MO. Read more

Share This:

Sacred Heart House Of Studies, 1957-1974

SACRED HEART HOUSE OF STUDIES--In 1957, Bishop Charles Helmsing visited the Sacred Heart House of Studies, Springfield, MO, the First House of Studies for minor seminarians in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau. Also pictured was Fr. Mark Ernstmann, Director; Msgr. Thomas Brady, pastor emeritus of Sacred Heart Parish, Springfield; Fr. John Westhues, Chancellor of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau; and Fr. Benedict Harter, Vice-Chancellor of the Diocese and pastor of Sacred Heart Parish. (The Mirror)
SACRED HEART HOUSE OF STUDIES–In 1957, Bishop Charles Helmsing visited the Sacred Heart House of Studies, Springfield, MO, the First House of Studies for minor seminarians in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau. Also pictured was Fr. Mark Ernstmann, Director; Msgr. Thomas Brady, pastor emeritus of Sacred Heart Parish, Springfield; Fr. John Westhues, Chancellor of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau; and Fr. Benedict Harter, Vice-Chancellor of the Diocese and pastor of Sacred Heart Parish. (The Mirror)

• Opened in May 1957 by Bishop Charles Helmsing

• “Bishop Helmsing announced in order to have the possibility of high school seminarians, we would have to begin our own seminary in the Diocese.”

• The parochial school building of Sacred Heart Parish in Springfield was remodeled into the minor seminary.

• The first group of students arrived in September 1957 Read more

Share This: