St. Joseph Parish, Scott City, MO
St. Joseph Church, Scott City, MO. (Photos by G. Eckl)
Phone & FAX: (573) 264-4106
Mailing address: 201 S Messmer St., Scott City, MO 63780-1101
Parochial Administrator: Fr. Tomasz Wilk, OSPPE, email@example.com
Administrative Assistant: Janice Burger
Bookkeeping: Cindy Johnston
RCIA Director: Gary Ziegler
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: stjosephsc.org
Also attends to St. Augustine Parish, Kelso, MO
St. Joseph Catholic School
Mr. Joseph Scherer was surely answering God’s call for a Catholic church for people of the Fornfelt-Ancell-Illmo area when he offered to donate two acres of his farm for church grounds, provided that the church be called St. Joseph.
Founded by Fr. John Muehlsiepen, pastor of Kelso’s St. Augustine Parish, St. Joseph Church was built in Illmo in 1912. (The three towns later incorporated into the present Scott City). Vincentian priests from Cape Girardeau served the parish until its first resident pastor Fr. Augustine Lager arrived (1913-1922).
Pastors who have since served the parish are: Fr. Bernard Groner, 1922-41; Fr. Albert Weinig, 1941-47; Fr. Aloys Marschner, 1947-48; Fr. Aloysius Peopsel, 1948-49; Fr. Joseph Little, 1949-56; Fr. Alois Stevens, 1956-60; Fr. Raymond Slay, 1960-63; Fr. Thomas Allen, 1963-76; Fr. Robert Schumacher, 1976-86; Fr. Roger Leveillee, 1986-93; Fr. Patrick Wissman, 1993-99; and Fr. David Coon, 1999-2007. Fr. Oliver Clavin began serving as pastor in September of 2007 from Kelso.
A school staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame opened in 1926. Due to a diminishing number of vocations, the sisters withdrew in 1974 and were replaced by lay teachers. Several principals from the School Sisters of Notre Dame and the Ursuline Sisters of Mount St. Joseph have since served.
The original church was renovated and enlarged in 1936. In 1967 a new church was built. Dedicated by Bishop Ignatius Strecker, it was the first area church to be built in the round. The former church building was used as a parish hall until 1979 when a new hall and school were built.
The St. Joseph Bell Tower was lifted into place and dedicated by Bishop Bernard Law in 1976. The two bells from the old church were joined with a new and larger tone-appropriate bell.
The church interior was completely renovated in the summer of 2002. Parishioners attended Mass in the parish center while the work went on. The pews, woodwork, statues, and Stations of the Cross were also refurbished.
St. Joseph’s Parish and School families join together today in a parish life of thanksgiving, bringing true meaning to its mission statement, “Living and Spreading the Life and Love of Jesus Christ.”
For current parish Mass times and other activities and events click HERE. Or, call the parish office.
GPS coordinates: N37° 13.456’, W089° 30.672’ (click here for map)
St. Joseph School
606 Sycamore St., Scott City, MO 63780-2326
Principal: Betty Spalding, email@example.com
Phone: (573) 264-2600, Fax: (573) 264-1325
Web site: stjoescottcity.eduk12.net