St. Ann Parish, Malden, MO
St. Ann Church, Malden, MO. (Photos by G. Eckl)
The Catholic church in Malden was first known as St. Patrick’s. Fr. J. J. Furlong, a priest from New Madrid, traveled a circuit to minister to Catholics in Clarkston, Malden, Sikeston, Caruthersville, and East Prairie. He tried to visit each site every two months.
The first Masses in Malden were celebrated in either the Levi Mercantile Company building or the Keene Hotel. Mr. J. S. Levi, a Jewish resident, decided to donate the lot where the first church was built. Another Jewish resident started the fund drive with a donation of $100.00. The new frame church was dedicated to St. Patrick on July 15, 1894.
In 1905, the new pastor, Fr. Frederick R. Peters had the church moved to the corner of Park and Douglas, the present location of the parish. While serving at Malden, Fr. Peters was also responsible for establishing the Catholic colony at Glennonville.
In 1910, the Servite Fathers began 41 years of pastoring the parish. Fr. Bernard Ponce de Leon, OSM, served as pastor from 1910-1934. He is reputed to have been the last male descendant of the “Fountain of Youth” explorer by the same name.
As the parish grew, the frame church was replaced with a brick building in 1925, at which time the name of the parish was changed to St. Ann. The church was completely renovated and restored in 1999.
All schedules subject to change. Please call parish office to verify.
Weekend Mass times
Weekday Mass times
Last Thursday of the month, 11 a.m.
GPS coordinates: N36° 33.645’, W089° 58.228’ (click here for map)
Physical Address: St. Ann Church, 304 N Douglass St, Malden, MO