St. Mary Parish, Seneca, MO
St. Mary, Seneca, MO. (Photos by G. Eckl)
Phone: (417) 776-3786
Mailing address: PO Box 1169 Seneca, MO 64865-1169
Pastor: The Very Rev. Joseph Weidenbenner, email@example.com
Parochial Vicar: Fr. Andrew R. Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant/RCIA Director: Priscilla Poor
Attended to from St. Mary Parish, Joplin, MO
St. Mary Catholic Community began in 1875, when the first Catholic, James Francis McGannon, came to Seneca from Canada to open a hardware business. Not long afterward, the Brady, Powers, and Yust families settled in the area. All had to travel to Pierce City or Springfield to attend Mass. In 1881, after the arrival of more families, Mr. McGannon was successful in getting priests from Pierce City and Sarcoxie to hold Mass in McGannon Hall above his business.
In 1884, Bishop John Hogan of Kansas City established St. Mary as a mission to St. Canera Parish, in Neosho. Fr. James Wood celebrated Mass in McGannon Hall and the Henry Yust home for five years.
Beginning in 1893, Fr. Kault was appointed pastor, traveling from Subiaco, AR, to minister to St. Mary. The brick church used by the parish today was built during his pastorate and dedicated in 1894. The property for the church was donated by James McGannon and was built and furnished without debt. Since then, the church has grown to 75 families.
St. Mary Mission became a parish in 1957, when Fr. Clem Ilmberger came to Seneca as the first resident pastor. Construction of the rectory was completed by the men of the parish who donated their time and labor.
In 1988, the new St. Mary community hall was built, replacing the old hall, which had been a barracks building from Fort Crowder. The church began renovations in 1994 and was rededicated March 1, 1996, by Bishop John Leibrecht.
Weekend Mass times
Weekday Mass times
GPS coordinates: N36° 50.606, W094° 36.418’ (click here for map)
Physical address: 1209 Wyandotte St, Seneca, MO