St. Vincent de Paul Church,
Cape Girardeau, MO.
St. Vincent de Paul Church, Cape Girardeau, MO. (Photos by G. Eckl)
Phone: (573) 335-7667
St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1913 Ritter Dr., Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4530
Pastor: Rev. Rick L. Jones, MDiv, LPC, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parochial Vicar: Rev. Alexander Sutachan, email@example.com
Director of CCM, SEMO University: Deacon Thomas J. Schumer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinator of Stewardship and RCIA: Deacon Mark A. Kiblinger, email@example.com
Deacon: Robbie R. Huff; also ministers as diocesan Superintendent of Catholic Schools and as diocesan Chancellor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deacon: Tony Peters, email@example.com
Director of Parish Finance/Office Manager: Cheryl Oberhaus, firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant/Bulletin Editor: Rose Huff, email@example.com
Administrative Assistant/Accounting Clerk: Beverly McMeel, firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media Coordinator: Becky Kitchen, email@example.com
Receptionist: Pamela Chambliss, firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Religious Education: Kathy Hotop Raines, email@example.com
Music Coordinator: Lenny Kuper, firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Ministry Coordinator: Tiffany Brey, email@example.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.svcape.com
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School
The Congregation of the Mission (the Vincentians) began ministering to the Catholics of Cape Girardeau in the spring of 1821. Priests would travel from “The Barrens” in Perryville to celebrate Mass in private homes.
In 1825, Fr. John Timon, CM, was ordained and began his work in Perry and Cape Girardeau counties. The growth of the Catholic community led to the purchase of a plot of land on the riverfront in 1833, but it was not until 1838 that the cornerstone was laid for a new church. The church was dedicated in 1839, but severely damaged by a tornado on Nov. 27, 1850. The indomitable spirit of the congregation prevailed: a new brick church was completed and rededicated in 1853.
German parishioners desired a parish with a priest who could speak their language. St. Louis Archbishop Peter Kenrick granted permission to begin building St. Mary’s in 1868, just a few blocks west of the church of St. Vincent. Both parish families grew steadily.
The Sisters of Loretto at the Foot of the Cross from Nerinx, KY, came to staff St. Vincent school in 1877.
During the 1950s, it became apparent that Cape Girardeau was expanding west of the river. Gradually, members of the parish family of St. Vincent de Paul began moving west also. A new school was built and in 1961, a convent for the Sisters of Loretto was erected along with a rectory for the priests. Then, in 1976, a new church was constructed on property on Forest, adjacent to the rectory. Bishop Bernard F. Law dedicated it on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
For current parish Mass times and other activities and events click HERE. Or, call the parish office.
GPS coordinates: N37° 18.913’, W089° 32.716’ (click here for map)
St. Vincent de Paul School
1919 Ritter Dr, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4521
Principal: Katy Glastetter, email@example.com
Phone: (573) 334-9594, Fax: (573) 334-0425
Web site: https://svcape.com/parishschool/