SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Pulaskifield, MO
SS. Peter and Paul Church, Pulaskifield, MO. (Photos by G. Eckl)
Most of the Polish immigrants who settled in the Pulaskifield area (then know as Bricefield) came from the Prussian partition of Poland. Agricultural reforms from 1848-1852 deprived many Polish farmers of their land. Scarcity of land and jobs in their native country and letters from America encouraged the people to immigrate.
After the Frisco railway was extended into southwest Missouri, cheap land was offered for sale to immigrants. Irish, German, and Polish Catholics settled in north Barry county. St. John’s (later called St. Patrick’s) church was established in Pierce City. By 1883 Bishop John J. Hogan of Kansas City granted permission for the formation of St. Mary’s Catholic Church to serve the needs of these communities.
The desire to have Mass celebrated in their native language caused the Polish people to petition Bishop Hogan for their own church. Land was purchased from Mr. Brice Hudson in April 1892. In October 1892, Bishop Hogan dedicated the first frame church to SS. Peter and Paul. The next year the parish purchased land for a rectory and a cemetery.
Fr. Edward Rejnert, a native of Poland, became the first resident pastor. SS. Peter and Paul has had 26 pastors in 112 years, currently sharing Fr. Daniel Robles with St. Lawrence Parish in Monett.
The parish school started in 1901 with one lay teacher, closing in May 1903. The Polish Franciscan Sisters came to teach in a new school building in 1909, staying until 1917. The parish school reopened in 1925 staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help until 1968, when it closed.
From 1976 to 1993 the parish held an annual celebration called the Uczta. Visitors from surrounding areas came to experience the Polish food, games, and dancing. Parishioners help out with Camp Re-NEW-AlI, Barry County Youth Camp, and Habitat for Humanity. The Parish Council of Catholic Women, Knights of Columbus Council #8865, and the youth group provide outreach to the larger parish community and beyond. The same proud Polish traditions that set this parish apart are still present, although many members no longer claim Polish heritages.
Weekend Mass times
Daily Mass Times
7:30 – 7:45 a.m.
6 – 6:30 p.m.
8 – 8:30 a.m.
7:30 – 8:30 a.m.
Marian Movement for Priests Cenacle
7 – 8 p.m.
GPS coordinates: N36° 52.331’, W094° 00.681’ (click here for map)
Attended from: Holy Trinity Parish, Aurora, MO