Role of the Office
To provide support and encouragement for the parishes and all people of God in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau as they actualize the three priorities of the Diocesan Mutually Shared Vision: “grow in holiness, form intentional disciples, and sent to witness”.
- Aid the Bishop in his role as the Pastoral Leader of our diocese
- Provide support and resources for parishes as they create and continue to update their individual Parish Pastoral Plans to promote and implement the Diocesan Mutually Shared Vision.
- Provide ongoing evangelization and discipleship formation for parish ministry leaders and others serving in the life of the Church
- Collaborate with all offices of the Catholic Center to keep the Church’s mission of evangelization at the forefront of all ministry activity.
Evangelization & Discipleship Summit
The Diocesan Evangelization and Discipleship Summit will be held on October 28, 2023 in Cape Girardeau and on November 4, 2023 in Springfield.
All parishioners are invited and encouraged to participate in this one day conference offering opportunities for prayer, education and training from nationally known Catholic speakers, and fellowship with other Catholics from around the diocese.
The cost of this conference is normally $60 per person but is made available FREE of charge to everyone in the diocese due to the financial support from the Missouri State Knights of Columbus.
DON’T MISS THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY! SPACE IS LIMITED, REGISTER EARLY.
Simply explained, the purpose of the Cursillo Movement is that we become the Good News and that our actions naturally turn out to be evangelical in our daily lives. Learn more about Cursillo.
Upcoming Cursillo Weekends
November 30 – December 3rd, 2023 – Fredericktown, MO
October 26-29, 2023 – Carthage, MO
November 16-19, 2023 – Fredericktown, MO
Scroll down for links to the GRANT forms.
The Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau has special funds available:
Diocesan Youth Endowment Fund Grant
* For parishes and schools, to support ministries or for individuals to attend camps or conferences
Diocesan Lay Endowment Fund Grant
* For adults to use for lay ministry training
Diocesan Youth Endowment Fund
The main objective of the Diocesan Youth Endowment Fund is to support those activities which: create opportunities for youth and families to encounter Christ, provide more effective ways of accompanying youth and families in their faith formation, and prepare them as intentional missionary disciples. The Diocesan Youth Endowment Committee will continue to pray, seek input from parish leaders, and discern carefully the priorities for ministering to youth and their families. May our good and gracious God continue to bless all of the generous donors and guide the endeavors of parishes, schools, and the diocese in ministering to youth and their families.
Parishes and Schools
Parishes and schools may use this form for:
* New Faith Formation/Evangelization initiatives in Catholic High School
* Guest speaker presentations or retreats in Catholic grade schools
* Guest speaker presentations or retreats in parishes
* Youth Adventure Program Retreats/Lock-ins
* Funding for Youth Ministry program subscriptions (ie. Lifeteen, YDisciple)
* Resources/Supplies for faith formation and youth ministry programs – books, online resources, computer/smart tv, etc.
~ Application for GROUP/PARISH/SCHOOL Grant Assistance
Individuals may use this form for assistance with:
* National Conferences, Institutes (ie. NCYC, Notre Dame Institute, etc.)
* Camps (ie. Life Teen Camp)
* Steubenville Conference
* Camp Re-NEW-All
* Camp Barnabas
* March for Life Pilgrimage
Check the application for deadlines.
~Application for INDIVIDUAL Grant Assistance
Lay Endowment Grant Fund for Adults
The Endowment Fund for Lay Leadership is a fund to promote continuing Catholic education and formation among the laity of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau. Read more.
NORTH AMERICAN CONTINENTAL REPORT
NATIONAL SYNOD REPORT
REGION IX REPORT
DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD-CAPE GIRARDEAU REPORT
Consultation Session Reports
Click on the name below to view the submitted report.
Advance – St. Joseph Parish
- Aurora – Holy Trinity Parish
- Ava – St. Leo the Great Mission Church
- Benton & New Hamburg – St. Denis Parish / St. Lawrence Parish
- Billings – St. Joseph Parish
- Branson – Our Lady of the Lake Parish
- Buffalo – St. William Parish
- Cape Girardeau – St. Mary of the Annunciation Cathedral
- Cape Girardeau – St. Vincent de Paul Parish
- Caruthersville – Sacred Heart Parish
- Cassville – St. Edward Parish
- Charleston – St. Henry Parish
- Conway – Sacred Heart Parish
- Dexter – Sacred Heart Parish
- El Dorado Springs – St. Elizabeth of Hungary Parish
- Forsyth – Our Lady of the Ozarks Parish
- Gainesville – St. William Mission Church
- Glennonville – St. Teresa Parish
- Greenfield – St. Patrick Mission Church
- Ironton & Lesterville – Ste. Marie du Lac Parish / Our Lady of Sorrows Mission Church
- Jackson – Immaculate Conception Parish
- Joplin – St. Mary Parish
- Joplin – St. Peter the Apostle Parish
- Kelso – St. Augustine Parish
- Kimberling City – Our Lady of the Cove Parish
- Lebanon – St. Francis de Sales Parish
- Leopold & Glennon – St. John Parish / St. Anthony Mission Church
- Licking – St. John the Baptist Mission Church
- Malden – St. Ann Parish
- Mansfield – Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
- Marshfield – Holy Trinity Parish
- Mount Vernon – St. Susanne Parish
- Mountain Grove – Sacred Heart Parish
- Neosho – St. Canera Parish
- New Madrid – Immaculate Conception Parish
- Nixa – St. Francis of Assisi Parish
- Oran & Chaffee – Guardian Angel Parish / St. Ambrose Parish
- Piedmont – St. Catherine of Siena Parish
- Poplar Bluff – Sacred Heart Parish
- Pulaskifield – Sts. Peter and Paul Parish
- Religious Sisters’ Dialogue
- Salem & Bunker – Sacred Heart Parish / Christ the King Mission Church
- Scott City – St. Joseph Parish
- SE Missouri Cursillo
- Seneca – St. Mary Parish
- Shell Knob – Holy Family Parish
- Sikeston – St. Francis Xavier Parish
- Springfield – Holy Trinity Parish
- Springfield – Immaculate Conception Parish
- Springfield – St. Agnes Cathedral
- Springfield – St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish
- Springfield – St. Joseph Parish
- Stockton – St. Peter, Apostle Mission Church
- Thayer – Sacred Heart Mission Church
- Van Buren – St. George Mission Church
- West Plains – St. Mary Parish
- White Church – St. Joseph Mission Church
- Williamsville – Our Lady of Sorrows Mission Church
The laity is called in a special way to make the Church present and operative in those places and circumstances where only through them can it become the salt of the earth. Thus every layperson, in virtue of the very gifts bestowed upon him, is at the same time a witness and a living instrument of the mission of the Church itself according to the measure of Christ’s bestowal. (Lumen Gentium #33, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church “Light of the Nations”, Vatican Council II).
The Church speaks of two forms of lay apostolate. Pope St Paul VI in his Decree on the Apostolate of the Laity (Apostolicam Actuositatem) describes the first: the apostolate common to all baptized laity. We are ALL called to be “spreading the kingdom of Christ throughout the earth for the glory of God the Father, to enable all men and women to share in His saving redemption” (#2). He emphasizes “modern conditions demand that their apostolate be broadened and intensified… in view of the fact that many areas of human life have become increasingly autonomous” (#1).
For this reason, there is a need for the second form of lay apostolate. They are the specific organizations of (mostly) lay people ministering in a specific way in a relationship of subsidiarity (CCC 1883) and complementarity with diocesan authorities. Our diocese is blessed to have varied lay apostolates working in close collaboration with the Office of Evangelization, Catechesis, and Youth Formation for the spread of Good News and deepening intimacy with Jesus Christ.
The following lay apostolates are recognized by our Bishop. Please click on their name for more information.
Two Catholic Homeschooling support groups are available in the diocese. For a group in the Springfield/Ozark, Missouri area, please contact Cathy Bonham, springfieldmo@
In addition to the local Lay Apostolate ministry groups, the diocese supports the following Catholic organizations which are active in our diocese:
Archived Diocesan Ministry Events & Resources Newsletter
For The Offices of Evangelization, Family Life, Youth Ministry, Faith Formation, and Child & Youth Protection
Director | email@example.com
Administrative Assistant | firstname.lastname@example.org