Office of Worship & Liturgy
Role of the Office
The Office of Worship’s mission is to nurture the Sacramental/Liturgical life of the People of God in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
The Office of Worship:
- aids the Bishop in his role as chief liturgist of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau by advising him on liturgical matters (through the Director of Worship and the Diocesan Liturgical Commission).
- assists the Bishop in the implementation of all liturgical rites as well as the development of liturgical guidelines and directives.
- aids priests and the laity of the parishes and other institutions in planning and celebrating the sacramental/liturgical rites by aiding, when requested, in the education, formation, and training of God’s People. Download a Liturgy Planning Sheet here.
- implementing universal norms for the Roman Rite and the official directives and guidelines as promulgated by the Bishop.
- directing and preparing Diocesan Liturgies, e.g. the Rite of Election, the Chrism Mass, Ordinations of Deacons and Priests, and dedication of newly constructed or renovated worship spaces.
- planning and preparing liturgical celebrations for special diocesan times of prayer, e.g. funerals of priests/deacons and liturgies for the annual Institute.
- participating in the process of consultation when a parish or another diocesan facility wishes to build or renovate worship spaces in the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
- overseeing continued liturgical education through diocesan, regional, and parochial workshops for priests, deacons, and the laity in order to assist God’s People in making the liturgy the “source and summit of the life of the Church.”
- working with the Diocesan Liturgical Commission in planning the vision of liturgical ministry in the diocese.
- in collaboration with the Office of Evangelization and Catechesis, the Office of Worship supports and educates parish catechumenate and initiation teams.
Office of Spiritual Deliverance & Exorcism
“The Church has a long history of reverent and sincere accompaniment in order to bring a soul to Christ,” said The Most Reverend Edward M. Rice in announcing the establishment of the Office of Spiritual Deliverance and Exorcism to the faithful of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau on April 30, 2018.
“Our age is both materialistic and superstitious and there is widespread doubt and ignorance of the presence and work of God in the world,” as Bishop Rice highlighted in his letter of Promulgation. “In this environment, there is a growing need for the ministry of the Church to distinguish between natural phenomena, including mental and physical illness, and true cases of spiritual oppression.”
“Persons, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, often turn to the Church and her wisdom for help and guidance,” Bishop Rice noted.
In instituting the office, Bishop Rice appointed Father David J. Dohogne and Father David N. Coon as Diocesan Exorcists. Father Dohogne serves as Diocesan Director of the Office of Worship as well as Pastor of St. Henry Parish in Charleston, MO. Father Coon serves as Pastor of Sacred Heart in Dexter, MO.
“The local pastor, however, serves as the first point of contact for anyone seeking counsel concerning the alleged influence of evil in one’s life,” Bishop Rice reminds the faithful.
“I presume that each and every priest and deacon in the diocese will be present to any person suffering spiritual distress: to talk with them, pray with them, perhaps blessing his or her home using the ritual(s) found in the Book of Blessings, for example.”
According to Bishop Rice, “The Church, acting in the name of our Lord, has in its sacramental arsenal everything we need to bring hope and healing to those who seek it.”
Who to contact
If you have questions, need help, or for more information, please contact: Dioscg@dioscg.org
“The Mass” Brochure
The Office of Worship is happy to announce an updated brochure called The Mass. Approved for distribution by Bishop Edward M. Rice, The Mass is intended to assist Catholics and non-Catholics alike to better understand the Catholic Mass. Download the brochure by clicking here: Mass Brochure.
Fr. David Dohogne
Director | email@example.com
Fr. Daniel Belken
Associate Director | firstname.lastname@example.org